Musical Analysis #1 - Glass Animals (I Don't Wanna Talk)

Glass Animals are full of a decent amount of songs that makes you feel chilled out, I Don't Wanna Talk is one of those songs. If you played it during work or some sort of party, it would let you jam out a little while dealing with whatever hell you're going through. Was stressing out about some essay and started listening to it while out and about walking. It got me a little perked up and almost dancing, hence the song's parenthesis in the song's name I Don't Wanna Talk (I Just Wanna Dance). The song was posted to YouTube on September 9th, so very recently.  In short, I love this song, it'd be a good song to listen to if you had a bad day and just want to chill out.
There wasn't much other research about the song, there was just a decent amount of reactions to the song. BUT I did find an article of why the song was made, according to Dave Bayley, the lead vocalist, the song was made due to the passed few year's pandemic.

"Talking is great, don’t get me wrong. But this pandemic has made so many of us look inwards in a way we maybe haven’t before,” Dave Bayley notes. “The uncertainty in the world and the inability to go out and create new memories makes you dig deep into the past. It really fed people’s deepest insecurities and rattled our foundations in so many ways. Relationships changed, friendships altered, and self-confidence was warped. I spent a lot of time talking to my dog, but even more time talking to myself in my head, which was keeping me up all night, and my friends and family were doing the same. (DIYmag.com)"

According to by timings, it is in 4's, where the beginning of phrases would start on 1, and there are a lot of beats that would happen on beats 1 and 3.
It has a nice harmonic texture, the texture is homophonic where the vocals and melody blend together nicely, of how the phrases in the chorus would start on 1, go through a full line, and a phrase would end on the first beat of the next meter. 
Getting bored? Here's the song to listen yourself (It's the music video, the vibes are good) (318) Glass Animals - I Don't Wanna Talk (I Just Wanna Dance) | Official Video - YouTube
Go give it a good ol listen, I'll wait.
All done? Okay good, so the song also has a softer dynamic, and it being a professional production, there is a decent amount of auto-tune, but with the warm beat, it makes the song drive along through your head and gives you the feeling of summer. There's also some editing in this version when transitioning to some of the locations in the song, so there is "smoke and mirrors." Glass Animals has had big stadium concerts, the one coming to mind is The Other Side of Paradise
Overall thoughts of this? I recommend that you only listen to most of Glass Animal's music through the official songs that AREN'T the music videos. I went through a number of their songs watching the music videos and hooolly heck the videos themselves are trippy as all heck

Cited:

Comments

  1. Hi Ashley! I had never heard this music before visiting your blog. This is not generally the type of music I listen to and I am not a huge fan myself because it doesn't have that same "chill" effect for me that you say it does for you. I find it hard to relax or focus when listening to music like this. However, I respect the fact that you have found music that can do that for you! You did a great job analyzing the dynamics of this song and pointing out the common use of auto-tune.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts