Music Trip to Thailand (sorta)

    The song artist I've chosen is the late Pumpuang Duangjan, she comes from Thailand and is considered the megastar of Thailand. She pioneered the electric Luk Thung music genre, which is their original culture's music. I heard of the genre from a close friend and I'm so glad I asked them about it, Pumpuang Duangjan's music is really beautiful. I'm analyzing the first two songs in this compilation from her: Thai Classic Song - Greatest Hits Pumpuang Duangjan - YouTube


(Pumpuang Duangjan was also a model)

Before I go on, it has to be stated that Pumpuang Duangjan was born in a poor farmer family, and only two years in primary school's worth of education, even into her career as a singer. For a lack of better relation terms, she is basically to Thailand, what Johnny Cash is to us Americans. She was a super-star when she was alive, mixing electronic beats with traditional Luk Thung music, Luk Thung basically means "Child of the Field" or "Born in the field/countryside" and which is why I related her music to Johnny Cash before. Luk Thung is one of the two forms of music derived from "Phleng Thai Sakon", which basically means "international-style Thai music" with the other being Luk Krung. Luk Thung relating more towards the rural area's and countryside and the Luk Krung being more related to urban styles of music. The genre's were split in the 1950's, and Phleng Luk Thung was influenced from American music to make the traditional music show that Thai weren't simple farmers. I forgot to mention before that Pumpuang Duangjan was not able to read, and either had lyric's spoken to her, or memorized the lyrics that she made. Her song's were also played a lot, when asking my friend about some of these songs, they didn't remember the last time they had listened to them, but remembered them almost exactly. The songs are based on Pumpuang's experiences with life, her surroundings, and how her life had changed. The music was inspired by the American music, and Luk Thung came to be by mixing traditional Thai songs with Western instruments. Specifically the guitar. 

The first song that plays in the playlist is "หัวใจถวายวัด (Hua Jai Ta Wai Wad)" which Google translate say's mean's "Heart Offerings". The song is played in 4/4 and has a really heartfelt timbre, sort of how things feel when you see a movie where the two characters finally acknowledge each other after they spill how they feel for each other? That's the best I can describe it. The dynamic is also nice, same with the tempo, both are perfect for a slow dance setting.

The song playing right after Hua Jai Ta Wai Wad is "หนูไม่รู้ (Noo Mai Roo)" and giving giving my friend the nearest ding, they told me that it means "I don't know". The song sounds like its more meant for dancing to, even if it's also in 4/4. The beat in the background sounds more like dancing, as well as the lyrics, even if I can't understand them. A lot of Luk Thung music is played at festival's for people to enjoy music and dance, so it wouldn't be such a far stretch to say that this song was danced to. The harmonic texture of this song is homophonic, with the background beat supporting Pumpuang's phrases. The dynamic of this song is also louder than the previous song, and it's really noticeable when the song's switch over to the next.

Both of these song's didn't ad much smoke and mirrors articulation, most were done live and some had simulated echo's to Pumpuang's lyrics.

When my friend first recommend the artist to me, I didn't expect much until they mentioned that Pumpuang was a superstar in Thailand, and I was especially surprised to find out that Pumpuang couldn't read, I was absolutely blown away. I had so much questions and I couldn't find information about how she was able to do it. But either way, when I started listening, my first reaction was "Oh my god, bro this is beautiful." And told my friend my reaction to it and they agreed, I asked them a few more questions afterwards, specifically the English translations to the genre of music as well as the translations to the artist's songs. I wanted to make sure I got Noo Mai Roo into the analysis because the title "I don't know" really resonated with me, whenever I get asked something, I plan to whip out my phone and play this song.



Works Cited:

Glitterati. “The History of Luk Thung.” Glitterati Blog, 28 May 2017, http://blog.glitterati.be/the-history-of-luk-thung/#:~:text=Phleng%20Luk%20Thung%20%28abbreviated%20Luk%20Thung%29%20was%20derived,rural%20Luk%20Thung%20and%20the%20urban%20Luk%20Krung.

Hunter, Ashley, and P Wuttiyangkul. “Just Asked My Friend If They Had Traditional Music          in Their Country.” 23 Oct. 2021.

         Had an assignment and I asked one of my best friend's if they had traditional music             that they could recommend in their country

“Picture of Pumpuang Duangjan.” Pumpuang Duangjan Image, https://www.listal.com/viewimage/8063001.

Sookkasikon, Pahole. “Portrait of a Thai Country Singerpumpuang Duangjan.” Radical History Review, Duke University Press, 1 May 2018, https://read.dukeupress.edu/radical-history-review/article-abstract/2018/131/159/134846/Portrait-of-a-Thai-Country-SingerPumpuang-Duangjan.

Thai Classic Song - Greatest Hits Pumpuang Duangjan - YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOmfMK-Rg58.

Comments

  1. Hi Ashley! I've heard a lot about the different music types in Thailand from a friend, but never knew some of the details you shared. It's interesting to me that they add in the echo effect; that sounds very cool with the lyrics themselves. Also crazy that this artist can't read; very impressive that they were able to make music! Great job on your sources and song choices! You did a great job breaking down the elements and I agree with you there. Not my most favorite music, but definitely something interesting to listen to and learn about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very pretty style of music. The artist you chose to focus on has a very pretty voice and I can see why she was a model. I definitely agree it has a similar feel to a love scene in a movie. It reminds me a lot of some of the music from the anime Sailor Moon that would play when the two love interests are together. Not quite the same but similar. I can see why you enjoy it so much.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts